The Baby Boomer generation and their elders is the fastest growing segment of the population in the USA, with many special needs required for this group. Whether issues with cognitive changes, retirement, loss of partners, changes in living space, or physical restrictions, the aging person in the future will be seeking methods to stay healthy, happy, and productive. The baby boomer generation is now advancing in age just as the delivery of health care in the U.S. is changing. Self-care and personal responsibility will become a greater focus in the future of health and wellness.
Yoga for Seniors Professional Trainings
Yoga, for the person moving into the later 1/3 of their lifetime, is a unique method of care. Not only does it protect and preserve the physical body of the aging person, but also the mental and emotional aspects that come with the physical and social changes of the aging person.
Yoga for this generation of aging persons is a unique method of caregiving.
Who Can Teach Yoga to Seniors?
- Yoga teachers;
- Individuals with a consistent yoga practice interested in teaching yoga to this specific population;
- Fitness instructors looking to increase their toolbox for working with the aging population (a consistent yoga practice is necessary for this training.)
What Will Be Covered in this Yoga Training?
- Introduction to aging anatomy and physiology.
- Working safely with unique issues: Arthritis; Cardio-vascular disease; Respiratory conditions; Neuromuscular diseases; Sarcopenia; Range of Motions restrictions and changes.
- Contraindications regarding asana and pranayama.
- Best practice asana and pranayama modifications.
- Chair Yoga.
- Teaching yoga to multi leveled classes.
- A bio/psycho/social/environmental approach to the aging person.
- Teaching methodology.
Modules to Complete the Training
There will be 2 modules in the program. The first module is July 24, 2021 to July 25, 2021 and the second module is August 7, 2021 to August 8, 2021. The training will take place at our yoga studio in Smithfield.
Required Reading for this Training
- Aging with Grace: What the Nun Study Teaches Us About Leading Longer, Healthier, and More Meaningful Lives. David Snowdon. (This is to be completed prior to the first weekend)
- Physical Change & Aging: A Guide for the Helping Professions. Sue Saxon, Mary Jean Etten, & Elizabeth Perkins.
- One 3-4 page paper due on the second Saturday of the training. Topic must relate to teaching the aging person.
- 2 hours of volunteer work with aging persons. It DOES NOT have to be yoga related, any type of volunteer time. A 1 page write up about what you observed. This volunteer work is to be completed prior to the start of the program.
Full attendance at both modules is required.
Cost of Yoga Training
- Early bird: $400 now until July 10, 2021
- Regular pricing: $475 after July 10, 2021
There is a refund policy minus $50 for processing and administration up till July 15, 2021. There is no refund after July 15, 2021.